Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Windows Defender: Virus and threat protection, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Instructor] In this section we're going to talk about…Windows Defender virus and threat protection.…Off the Start menu if I type in Windows Defender,…we'll see we get an option…for Windows Defender Security Center.…So this is a minor name change that came…about with the Fall 2017 Creators update.…If I click on that we get into…Windows Defender Security Center with a number of options.…The first page gives me an overall status…of all of the subsections.…
Right now it says my device is being protected, that's good.…And then we'll talk about this first subsection,…virus and threat protection.…If I click on that the first thing…we see is the scan history.…No threats found, that's good news.…I can also do a quick scan right away,…I have a button for a quick scan,…and that would scan my computer,…but only in the locations that are most likely…to have a virus such as your internet downloads.…I do have some options for other scans,…I'll have to go to advanced scan for that.…
The first option is full scan, which as the name implies…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.