Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Windows Defender: App and browser control, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Instructor] The next section we'll look at…in Windows Defender Security Center,…is the app and browser control.…When we click on that, we see at the top…the first thing is Check apps and files.…And this allows the operating system…to review different applications and files…we've downloaded.…If it finds something suspicious about them,…we have a choice of three actions the computer can take.…The default is to warn us about this,…and that warning also comes with the option to continue…or terminate the action.…
We could go with the more aggressive Block,…so we would not see a warning,…just the action would be terminated.…We can also turn this off, if we like.…In most scenarios, the default of Warn…is the appropriate setting.…The next section, if we scroll down a little,…is SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.…This looks at content and downloads from websites…specifically in Microsoft Edge.…And again, we have the same options, Block, Warn or Off.…If we scroll down a little more,…we see SmartScreen for Windows Store apps.…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.