Join Dan Gookin for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of Computer Components and Peripherals for IT Technicians.
- This course deals with computer hardware. It covers both the standard desktop PC, but also laptops and 2-in-1 models. Peripherals can be added to any computer, but only the desktop model offers internal expansion. As with everything in the computer universe, hardware works with software to get things accomplished. My assumption is that you're running the latest version of the Windows operating system on your PC, which is Windows 10. I also assume that you have some basic computer knowledge, that you understand how the computer system works, and know how to access some locations in Windows, such as the Settings app or the Control Panel.
Even so, I always offer full directions in the course. If you plan on opening up the computer to add or remove internal components, you may need a standard Phillips head screwdriver. Also, it's important that you follow my directions here regarding safety when working inside the computer. Nothing bad should happen if you follow my advice, but you do need to be careful. Finally, you will need to obtain the peripherals you want to add to your computer system. Descriptions of these devices are offered throughout the course, along with specifics you might want to look for.
You can shop in the real world or online, but please be aware of the return policies for any computer hardware you plan on obtaining. Some components require plenty of patience to install. I recommend that you watch a movie completely before you attempt the process. Especially for internal expansion options. That way you're familiar with what's going to happen next before you dive in. Now let's get started adding some components and peripherals to expand your computer system's potential.
- Looking inside the computer
- Working with connectors and connections
- Exploring the motherboard
- Working with internal and external storage
- Adding expansion cards
- Configuring the graphics system
- Working with monitors and touch screens
- Accessing audio
- Connecting and configuring a printer
- Making network connections
- Setting up gateways
- Activating and deactivating Bluetooth