Learn about the concepts you should know before moving forward in the course. Sine the demo application is written in C++, you should be familiar with C++. Learn about the system requirements needed in order to run the Intel Advisor and run the demo application. The important concepts are touched on here.
- [Instructor] The demo application we make multi-threaded is written in C++, and focuses on eight sorting algorithms. Brush up on your C++ with the up and running course. Now a single-threaded application is an application that executes one task at a time. One right after the other in a linear manner versus a multi-threaded application which can run two or more tasks at the same time. This results in a much faster execution time which means better CPU utilization and lower power usage.
We spend a majority of or time inside Visual Studio. Being familiar with this ID will go a long way. For Visual Studio basics check out the Visual Studio 2015 Essential Series. If you have multiple versions of Visual Studio installed, make sure you open it up with Visual Studio 2015.
- Installing Intel Advisor
- Sorting source code
- Integrating Visual Studio and Intel Advisor
- Discovering parallel code
- Adding markers for parallelism
- Predicting parallel behavior
- Predicting data sharing problems
- Adding parallelism with a task handler
- Forecasting performance gains