Learn how to use the network options in Windows 10 to connect to a network, configure network settings, maintain a firewall, and troubleshoot connectivity issues. This course also helps you prepare for topics in Microsoft exam 70-697, Configuring Windows 10 Devices.
- Hi, and welcome to Windows 10 Networking Fundamentals. I'm Joli Ballew, author, professor, and Windows enthusiast. Understanding Windows 10 networking is a must-have skill if you're serious about getting the most from your computer. It doesn't matter if you're a single user on a home network, or one of 10,000 users on an enterprise network. You'll need to know how to get connected and what settings to use to access the network resources you want while keeping your computer secure. I'll begin by showing you ways to get connected to a variety of networks.
Then, I'll teach you about Windows 10 network profiles and how to secure your computer when you're on a public network. We'll learn about DHCP, APIPA, and DNS, among others. I'll show you how to configure your network adapters, and we'll explore ways to get the most out of the Network and Sharing Center. After that, I'll introduce you to the Windows Firewall with advanced security. You'll learn to use the pre-installed rules, as well as create your own. Finally, you'll learn to troubleshoot networks using familiar commands like ping, ipconfig, tracer, and pathping.
There's a lot to cover, so let's get started.
Author and professor Joli Ballew shows you how to get connected, which settings to use to access different resources, and how to keep your system secure. She explains the security implications of different settings, so you can make informed decisions that help protect devices when using public networks. She also helps get the most out of the Window 10 sharing center. Lastly, she explains the native firewall rules, how to create your own inbound and outbound rules, and how to troubleshoot and modify your network connection.
Note: This course aligns to the Configure Networking domain from the Microsoft exam 70-697: Configuring Windows 10 Devices.
- Configuring IP settings and wireless network settings
- Maintaining network security
- Setting up preferences
- Troubleshooting connectivity
- Managing Windows Firewall
- Creating program rules and security rules
- Using ping, ipconfig, Tracert, and PathPing to troubleshoot