Choose the best upgrade method and securely migrate your files, applications, and user settings from Windows XP to Windows 8.
- [Voiceover] Hi, and welcome to Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 8, I'm David Rivers. Now, XP has enjoyed and unusually long run for any commercial operating system, but technology is always changing, and operating systems need to evolve to remain compatible. So, in this course, I'll show you everything you need to know to migrate smoothly from Windows XP to Windows 8. I'll begin by showing you how to prepare for the migration, like checking to see if your computer is ready, and able to run Windows 8. We'll look at backing up your important files, and installing Windows Easy Transfer, and using it to simplify the migration of your files, and your settings.
Then, we'll walk through the Windows 8 installation steps, exploring various installation options, such as installing on a separate partition, or replacing XP altogether with Windows 8. So, if you're ready to migrate from Windows XP to Windows 8, let's get started.
- Determining the best migration path
- Backing up your files
- Storing files with Easy Transfer
- Upgrading with the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant
- Installing Windows on a new partition
- Restoring files and settings with Easy Transfer
- Connecting hardware devices