Modifier keys are specific keys on the keyboard that allow you to activate certain commands and controls. They are specifically valuable for keyboard shortcuts. This video introduces the modifier keys and some of the more common controls they are used for.
- [Instructor] Let's talk about keyboard commands.…These are actions that you can trigger…by holding and pressing a few keys on the keyboard.…I recommend you start with this webpage.…Here, you can find a list of very common keyboard commands.…If you don't already know, most of these require you…to hold down a key on your keyboard, then tap another key.…So, for example, the Copy command, which is very popular.…I can see that listed here, Ctrl + C.…So, that requires you to hold the Control key,…and then tap the letter C on your keyboard.…
So, it's important to look at your keyboard…and identify the modifier keys.…These are keys, like Control, Alt, Shift,…or the Windows key, which you need to hold down…to trigger these keyboard commands.…They're pretty easy to find,…because they should be labeled on your computer.…So, just to see this in action, I want to quickly…jump through the copy and paste, because I think…you'll need to use that one a lot in Windows.…So, I want to go to a Microsoft Word document.…You can do this in a lot of different applications.…
- Launching applications
- Interacting with windows, menus, and ribbons
- Multitasking to switch between multiple applications
- Switching to tablet mode
- Managing files and folders with the File Explorer
- Browsing the web with Edge
- Working with email, contacts, and calendars
- Using and installing apps
- Managing display and account settings
- Backing up Windows 10
- Troubleshooting Windows 10
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 12/08/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: understanding essential folder structure, including the user folder; using shortcuts to files and folders; and creating 3D objects in Paint 3D.
1. Getting Started
2. Launching and Managing Applications
3. File Explorer: The Windows Filing Cabinet
4. Browsing the Web with Edge
5. Working with Mail, People, and Calendars
6. Using the Other Bundled Apps
7. Installing Apps and Printers
8. Essential Settings and Customization
9. Account Settings
Sign-in security options4m 3s
10. Using Cortana to Search
11. Backing Up and Restoring
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.