Learn how to best use shortcuts and when not to use shortcuts including uses for placing shortcuts to storage media or on the desktop for popular files or current project folders.
- [Instructor] Perhaps the most basic file management…command is copy, which makes a duplicate of a file.…That duplicate is an exact replica, which is great…if you need to put a file on a folder or thumb drive…or when you desire a backup copy or archive.…One thing you don't want however,…multiple copies of a file when you need only one.…First, the extra files occupy storage space.…Second, how do you update all the files…and keep them current?…The solution is to create a shortcut instead of a file.…
The shortcut also known as an alias,…is just a file reference.…It appears as an icon like other files,…and opening the shortcut opens the original…which is an ideal solution.…In this move I cover file shortcuts,…how they're created and how to put a shortcut to good use,…and when not to use a shortcut.…A shortcut icon looks exactly like the original,…the difference is the tiny shortcut flag…in the lower left corner of the icon.…
Plus on many shortcuts, the file name is appended…with the text shortcut.…You'll probably find most shortcuts on the desktop,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Recall which tab to select to see additional details about files and folders.
- Determine the hierarchy of folders.
- Explain how to create a shortcut on your desktop.
- Summarize the steps taken to add files from a folder to the Documents library.
- Recognize the benefits of file compression.
- List three common storage device formats.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understand File Basics
2. Organize Projects
3. Control Mass Storage
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.