Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Using EFS, part of Securing Windows 10.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] In this section, we're going to…talk about encrypting individual files…and folders in Windows 10.…Off the Start menu, I'm going to type in encryption…and we'll see one of the options…is Manage file encryption certificates.…We will need to create a certificate…in order to encrypt our files.…The first screen of this wizard…just explains the encryption file system…known as EFS and gives us a preview of what's…going to happen in this wizard.…
I'll click Next.…I would like to create a new certificate…so I'll choose the radio button at the bottom.…I have different options.…The most secure option would be to use…a certificate issued by my domain certification authority.…This would be the most secure option…and would allow the most functionality…allowing me to read my encrypted files over the network,…but just for the purposes of a quick demonstration here,…we'll go with the top item.…A self signed certificate.…
And I'll hit next.…It's asking me if I want to backup the certificate or not.…Typically it is a good idea to back it up,…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections