There are lots of ways you can use shortcuts to access files and folders more quickly. In this video, see how to create shortcuts in File Explorer, and learn about the relationship between the shortcut and the original file.
- [Voiceover] In File Explorer,…there are lots of ways you can use shortcuts…to access files and folders more quickly.…We've seen shortcuts in the sidebar in File Explorer before.…If we go over to This PC…and click the little triangle next to that,…we see a bunch of shortcuts…to some of the pre-made folders in your user folder.…And also up here under Quick Access,…we can see some shortcuts here as well.…We have a few of the standard user folders…like Documents, Downloads, and Pictures,…and those will be here by default.…Now, I mentioned this earlier in the chapter,…but if you use OneDrive,…you might actually have two different Documents folders.…
One inside of your normal user folder…and a different one on OneDrive.…The same is true for Pictures and Music.…You might have two of those folders as well.…So it's really important that you know which folder…these shortcuts lead to.…Now, on my computer, for example,…if I go to this Documents folder,…right-click on it, go to Properties,…then to this Location tab,…I can see that this is a shortcut…
- Launching applications
- Interacting with windows, menus, and ribbons
- Multitasking to switch between multiple applications
- Switching to tablet mode
- Managing files and folders with the File Explorer
- Browsing the web with Edge
- Working with email, contacts, and calendars
- Using and installing apps
- Managing display and account settings
- Backing up Windows 10
- Troubleshooting Windows 10
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 12/08/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: understanding essential folder structure, including the user folder; using shortcuts to files and folders; and creating 3D objects in Paint 3D.
1. Getting Started
2. Launching and Managing Applications
3. File Explorer: The Windows Filing Cabinet
4. Browsing the Web with Edge
5. Working with Mail, People, and Calendars
6. Using the Other Bundled Apps
7. Installing Apps and Printers
8. Essential Settings and Customization
9. Account Settings
Sign-in security options4m 3s
10. Using Cortana to Search
11. Backing Up and Restoring
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.