Join Brien Posey for an in-depth discussion in this video Use reports to identify required updates in Configuration Manager, part of Windows 10: Plan and Implement Software Updates.
- [Narrator] System Center Configuration Manager makes it relatively easy to find out if there are devices on your network that are missing updates. So to do so, go to the monitoring workspace as I've done here and then click on the reporting container. I'll go ahead and expand this out and I'll also expand out the reports container beneath reporting. And there are a number of different report categories that you can choose from. And if you look you can see that we have several different categories of software update reports. So I'm going to go to software updates B, Deployment Management.
And then if you look we have a report, Management two, Updates Required but not Deployed. Now to the best of my knowledge, the systems on my network have all been updated with the latest updates. So this report is probably going to be empty, but let's take a look at it anyway. I'm going to right click on Management two, Updates Required but not Deployed, and I'm going to click run. And this is going to bring up the report interface. So the first thing that we have to specify is a collection. I'll click values and from here we have to choose which collection we want to take a look at.
I'm going to look at All Systems. I'll click OK then we have to take a look at vendor. I'll click Values and I'm going to choose Microsoft as the vendor. So that way we can make sure that all of our Microsoft products are up to date. Then we have the ability to examine update classes. I'll click Value and we can look for things like Security Updates or Critical Updates and that sort of thing. So I'm going to select Critical Updates and click OK. So now that all of the fields are filled in we click view report and this is going to show us any updates that are missing that fit our criteria.
So as I said before, my systems are all up to date but if we had systems in the All Systems collection that were missing critical updates from Microsoft they would be listed right here. So that's how you find out what updates are missing from your systems in System Center Configuration Manager.
- Deploying updates manually
- Monitoring deployments
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
- Analyzing log files
- Approving and declining updates in Intune
- Deploying software from SCCM, WSUS, and Intune