External hard drives and memory sticks are important for storing files and moving files around. See what happens when you connect an external drive and how File Explorer behaves when working with files on an external drive.
- [Voiceover] It's very normal to connect an external…storage drive to your computer.…Maybe an external hard drive or a USB memory stick.…Almost everything you know about file explorer…works the same when you're accessing files…on an external drive, but there are a few details…that we should talk about.…So I'm using a USB memory stick as an example…so I will connect that to my computer…and after a moment I will see this notification.…The computer is asking me what I want to happen…when I connect an external drive.…So if I click on this box…it gives me a few options.…
You may prefer to have the computer open up…file explorer and show you the contents of that drive…when you connected, or you might prefer…that no action at all is taken.…For the moment I'm not going to choose anything…but if I chose something from this list…that's what would happen whenever I connect…an external drive in the future.…But I can just click away from that panel…and that goes away.…The reason I didn't choose anything…is because I wanted to show you another way…
- Launching applications
- Interacting with windows, menus, and ribbons
- Multitasking to switch between multiple applications
- Switching to tablet mode
- Managing files and folders with the File Explorer
- Browsing the web with Edge
- Working with email, contacts, and calendars
- Using and installing apps
- Managing display and account settings
- Backing up Windows 10
- Troubleshooting Windows 10
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 12/08/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: understanding essential folder structure, including the user folder; using shortcuts to files and folders; and creating 3D objects in Paint 3D.
1. Getting Started
2. Launching and Managing Applications
3. File Explorer: The Windows Filing Cabinet
4. Browsing the Web with Edge
5. Working with Mail, People, and Calendars
6. Using the Other Bundled Apps
7. Installing Apps and Printers
8. Essential Settings and Customization
9. Account Settings
Sign-in security options4m 3s
10. Using Cortana to Search
11. Backing Up and Restoring
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.