Join Brien Posey for an in-depth discussion in this video Upgrade a virtual application, part of Windows 10: Deploy and Manage Virtual Applications.
- [Instructor] AppV will allow you to make updates to an existing application package, this is especially useful for patch management. The way that you do that is to begin by clicking on modify an existing virtual application package within the AppV sequencer. From there we're going to chose the option to update application in existing package, and click next. Now we have to choose the package that we want to update, I'm going to click browse, and I'm going to choose the expert GPS package that I created earlier.
I'll click open and click next. Now we're taken to a screen that tell us we need to prepare the computer. Everything looks good here, so I'm going to click next, and now we have to select the installer for the application that we want to install. so the process of applying an update is very similar to that of sequencing an application. So I'm gunna click browse, and then I'm going to choose the installation program for the patch that I'm going to install.
So I'm gunna go to apps and then updates and I'm going to select the update, and click open, and click next, and I'll receive a message saying that the installer will start shortly, and now the installer starts, so I'm going to click next to install to the default directory, and I'm going to clear this checkbox, because we don't want to launch expert GPS. I'll click finish and I'm finished installing so I'm going to select I'm finished installing check box, and click next.
The installation report is created, I'll click next, and now I'm prompted to start the application which helps with the application streaming process. So I'm going to click on the application and click run selected, and the application's loading, and once again we'll probably get a message that we can't open the edge browser because we're logged in as administrator, but that's okay. So the application is loaded, and we'll click through a few of these menus, and I will go ahead and close out the application, and click next, and now I'm prompted to create the package, so I'm going to call this expert gps update, and I will click create and the package has been completed, and once again I receive a message saying that were files that were excluded from the package.
Everything is probably okay because this is a very typical warning message, it's not an error it's only a warning. So that's how you go about updating an application package within AppV.
- Installing and deploying App-V
- Sequencing an application
- Editing or upgrading an application
- Configuring applications for deployment in App-V
- Deploying apps with Intune