Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding Inheritance of permissions, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Voiceover] Now let's talk about permission inheritance.…By default, files and folders…assume the permissions of their parents.…This is called inheritance.…It is on by default in almost all versions of Windows,…including Windows 10, but it can be turned off.…When we turn it off, we call that disabling inheritance.…Typically we want inheritance to be on,…so disabling it would be a little unusual.…One of the situations…where you might want to disable inheritance…is when one document in a folder needs different permissions…than all of the other documents in the folder.…
So you could set the permissions properly on the folder.…By default, all the documents would inherit from the parent,…and then just on the one file that needs to be changed,…you could disable inheritance…and then change the permissions on that file.…This brings up the question of,…what happens to the permissions…once inheritance has been disabled?…Will the permissions remain, or will they be removed?…And the answer is, you have a choice.…When you disable inheritance, you are given two choices.…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.