There are certain folders that exist in the main hard drive of every Windows 10 computer. Some of these folders contain system files and some are reserved for the user's personal files. This video introduces the important folders so you know which ones you should be working in.
- [Instructor] As you're browsing around in…File Explorer it's really easy to open up…folders and peek inside,…but if you're just getting started with Windows…you may not know what a lot of these folders are,…what files they contain,…or which ones are important.…So, where do we focus our attention?…Well I want to start by going to…the root of the C drive.…So, in File Explorer I'll select This PC.…Then I'll select the C drive.…And of course we see the contents here.…This is the root.…This is where the hierarchy starts…and here's the easy part,…you don't have to worry about most of these folders.…
Most users will never need to touch most of these folders.…In fact I'm the guy teaching the Windows Essential…Training course and I don't touch most of these folders,…but there are a few that you do need to know about.…In fact you can ignore everything…except for these three folders,…Program Files, Program Files x86,…and the Users folder.…Now this folder labeled Windows…is a little bit interesting,…that's where all of the files are stored that…
- Launching applications
- Interacting with windows, menus, and ribbons
- Multitasking to switch between multiple applications
- Switching to tablet mode
- Managing files and folders with the File Explorer
- Browsing the web with Edge
- Working with email, contacts, and calendars
- Using and installing apps
- Managing display and account settings
- Backing up Windows 10
- Troubleshooting Windows 10
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 12/08/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: understanding essential folder structure, including the user folder; using shortcuts to files and folders; and creating 3D objects in Paint 3D.
1. Getting Started
2. Launching and Managing Applications
3. File Explorer: The Windows Filing Cabinet
4. Browsing the Web with Edge
5. Working with Mail, People, and Calendars
6. Using the Other Bundled Apps
7. Installing Apps and Printers
8. Essential Settings and Customization
9. Account Settings
Sign-in security options4m 3s
10. Using Cortana to Search
11. Backing Up and Restoring
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.