In this video, author Brian Culp discusses the significance of Wi-Fi Direct, and how it is a protocol that allows two or more Wi-Fi Direct devices to connect directly to each other without using a wireless router. Brian then identifies some real-world scenarios where Windows 10 users would benefit, such as using Wi-Fi Direct to quickly connect to a printer or TV in order to mirror the Windows 10 display.
- [Voiceover] So, what is Wi-Fi direct, and what does it…have to do with Windows 10?…Well, that's what we are going to…answer in this lesson here, understanding Wi-Fi direct,…and then we will talk a little bit more…about configuration in the following lesson.…Wi-Fi direct is a protocol that allows…two Wi-Fi direct devices to connect directly to each other,…without the use of a wireless router.…If it helps, you might want to think…of Wi-Fi direct as Bluetooth,…except faster, and longer distances.…
It's a very simple solution to a simple problem,…which is simply getting two devices…to talk to one another.…After all, if you just need to send a file to a printer,…why do both devices need to be connected to the Internet,…as is the case when they are both…attached to a network access point?…Or, at least that's usually the case,…that they're connected to the Internet.…Devices that support Wi-Fi direct include phones,…they include cameras, printers,…and even Xbox One supports Wi-Fi connect.…
In terms of other practical applications,…
This hands-on, practical course covers the skills necessary for a system admin to manage remote access in Windows 10—and prepare for the Manage Remote Access domain of Microsoft Certification exam 70-697, Configuring Windows Devices. Brian Culp shows how to create and enable a VPN connection, configure Remote Desktop, establish mobility policies, create and deploy workspaces, and configure offline storage and file syncing. Plus, learn how connect to printers and displays using Wi-Fi Direct.
Review the learning objectives for the Manage Remote Access domain of exam 70-697 at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-697.aspx.
- Creating and enabling a VPN connection
- Using Wi-Fi Sense
- Configuring Remote Desktop
- Troubleshooting with Remote Desktop
- Configuring power policies and mobility options
- Creating workspaces with Windows To Go and PowerShell
- Configuring offline files and file policies
- Adjusting sync options
- Connecting to Wi-Fi Direct devices