If you’ve decided to use a laptop or notebook computer, there are some things unique to the use of laptops that you should be familiar with. This video discusses several factors to keep in mind when using a laptop, such as making sure you carry the charging cable with you, understanding how trackpads work, and getting accustomed to the configuration of the laptop’s keyboard.
- [Voiceover] If you've decided to use…a laptop or notebook computer,…or if you really didn't have any say in the matter…and had one issued to you, there's some things unique…to the use of laptops that you should be familiar with.…First of all, the laptop is an all-in-one device.…All the necessary components are built-in,…and for the most part you can carry it around…and have everything you need to get your work done.…Now, because it's a portable device,…it runs off an internal battery.…Most laptops batteries range anywhere…from five to seven hours of usage time on a single charge,…but your results will vary greatly depending on…how hard you're taxing the laptop.…
So, you always want to make sure…to carry the laptop's power supply cable along with you,…so you can plug it into an outlet to charge the battery,…especially if you know you're going to be using it…for an extended period of time.…A laptop with a depleted battery and no power cable…is pretty much useless.…Now, when it comes to actually using the laptop,…
Interested in Mac computers? Check out Garrick's companion course, Computer Literacy for Mac.
- What is a computer?
- Purchasing a laptop vs. desktop
- Understanding files and folders
- Opening and saving files
- Working with software
- Setting up printers and Bluetooth devices
- Connecting to networks to go online
- Setting up email
- Receiving and sending email
- Searching the web
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Computers
2. Getting Started
3. Software and Applications
4. Computer Peripherals
5. Networks and Getting Online
7. Web Browsing and Searching
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.