HoloLens spatial mapping is extremely powerful, but sometimes you need more advanced capabilities. Spatial understanding provides intelligence about your world so you can build deeper experiences.
- [Instructor] I've gone ahead and created…a new Unity project in order to show you…how spatial understanding works.…Just for fun, we're calling it WorldUnderstanding.…Now, I've gone ahead and done all the preconfig,…but I'll walk you through what I did…just so that you remember.…I went into Assets first, then went in to Import Package,…and went ahead and imported the Holo toolkit,…which is down here.…Now, that was a great thing…because that automatically gives me this menu item.…So with the HoloToolkit menu item,…I went into Configure and did all the setup.…
And the normal order that I go through is…I do the Project Settings first,…then I do the Capability Settings,…and then I do the Scene Settings.…And that gives us the basic setup…for a new HoloLens Unity project.…The first thing we're going to do is go ahead…and pull in the Spatial Mapping prefab.…I'm going to click on the SpatialMapping module down here…and go into the Prefabs folder.…And I'm going to drag the SpatialMapping prefab…into my project.…Now, even though spatial understanding is different…
Join instructors Dennis Vroegop and James Ashley for this introduction for HoloLens app development. They show you how to set up your development environment, including Unity and the HoloToolkit; how to deploy to HoloLens and the HoloLens emulator; and how to build apps that accept user input via gazes, tapping, and speech. Then discover how to use spatial mapping to detect your surroundings and analyze your environment with spatial understanding. Learn how to implement spatial sound that adds to the user's existing environment, and synchronize data to create shared experiences. Along the way, learn how it all comes together in two simple 3D apps: a visualization for enterprise business and a platform game.
- Installing Unity, Visual Studio, and the HoloToolkit
- Building an app in Unity
- Deploying to HoloLens or the HoloLens emulator
- Gaze and tapping
- Spatial mapping and spatial understanding
- Spatial sound
- Shared holograms
- Creating 3D enterprise apps
- Creating 3D games
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Set Up Your Development Environment
Download the HoloToolkit2m 32s
2. Basic Configuration and Deployment
3. Basic Interaction
4. Use HoloToolKit
5. Spatial Sound
6. Shared Experiences
7. Games and Enterprise Applications on the HoloLens
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.