HoloLens spatial mapping lets real-world objects and virtual objects interact. In this video, learn how to hide virtual objects behind furniture and other things in your environment.
- [Instructor] As you saw, the spatial mapping prefab…is really powerful.…I want to dig into it just a little bit more…and point out a few things to you.…I'm going to drag this out so that you can see everything,…and here are some of the properties…that are interesting here.…The first one I want to show you is this…Triangles Per Cubic Meter property in the Inspector window.…This sets how many triangles you actually render…when you're doing that matrix view.…If you have a higher number here,…you're going to have a denser number of triangles.…Generally, the default is pretty good.…
The really important property, though,…is the time between updates.…This determines how often you do a scan of the room.…3.5 is about right.…If this number is too high, you're just going to mess up,…because it takes too long to refresh.…If it's too low, though, you're going to be…refreshing too often and really draining your battery.…What I really want to show you now is down here,…with the Draw Visual Meshes.…Now when we draw the mesh, it looks really cool,…
Join instructors Dennis Vroegop and James Ashley for this introduction for HoloLens app development. They show you how to set up your development environment, including Unity and the HoloToolkit; how to deploy to HoloLens and the HoloLens emulator; and how to build apps that accept user input via gazes, tapping, and speech. Then discover how to use spatial mapping to detect your surroundings and analyze your environment with spatial understanding. Learn how to implement spatial sound that adds to the user's existing environment, and synchronize data to create shared experiences. Along the way, learn how it all comes together in two simple 3D apps: a visualization for enterprise business and a platform game.
- Installing Unity, Visual Studio, and the HoloToolkit
- Building an app in Unity
- Deploying to HoloLens or the HoloLens emulator
- Gaze and tapping
- Spatial mapping and spatial understanding
- Spatial sound
- Shared holograms
- Creating 3D enterprise apps
- Creating 3D games
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Set Up Your Development Environment
Download the HoloToolkit2m 32s
2. Basic Configuration and Deployment
3. Basic Interaction
4. Use HoloToolKit
5. Spatial Sound
6. Shared Experiences
7. Games and Enterprise Applications on the HoloLens
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.