The HoloLens uses a depth camera to map your physical environment. Learn how to use spatial maps and learn why you need them.
- [Instructor] Currently in this project,…when you tap on the ball,…it just falls through the floor,…because it doesn't even know the floor is there.…The basic problem is that 3D models…don't know anything about the real world,…and the real world doesn't know anything about 3D models.…What's really great is with the Holo tool kit,…we can fix that really easily.…Back in the project, I can go into the Holo tool kit,…go into the spatial mapping module, go into prefabs,…and find the spatial mapping prefab.…
I'm just going to drop it into my project.…Now the crazy thing is that pretty much…takes care of our problem.…What the spatial mapping prefab does…is it gathers all that information that the depth sensors…and the HoloLens is gathering, and then it turns it…into a digital object.…It basically creates a thin layer around the real world,…interprets it as a 3D mesh, and then puts it…into your digital world in Unity.…Now, because this is a new object,…we're going to have to change our code just a little bit.…
I'm going to go back to our scripts…
Join instructors Dennis Vroegop and James Ashley for this introduction for HoloLens app development. They show you how to set up your development environment, including Unity and the HoloToolkit; how to deploy to HoloLens and the HoloLens emulator; and how to build apps that accept user input via gazes, tapping, and speech. Then discover how to use spatial mapping to detect your surroundings and analyze your environment with spatial understanding. Learn how to implement spatial sound that adds to the user's existing environment, and synchronize data to create shared experiences. Along the way, learn how it all comes together in two simple 3D apps: a visualization for enterprise business and a platform game.
- Installing Unity, Visual Studio, and the HoloToolkit
- Building an app in Unity
- Deploying to HoloLens or the HoloLens emulator
- Gaze and tapping
- Spatial mapping and spatial understanding
- Spatial sound
- Shared holograms
- Creating 3D enterprise apps
- Creating 3D games
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Set Up Your Development Environment
Download the HoloToolkit2m 32s
2. Basic Configuration and Deployment
3. Basic Interaction
4. Use HoloToolKit
5. Spatial Sound
6. Shared Experiences
7. Games and Enterprise Applications on the HoloLens
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.