Join Dan Gookin for an in-depth discussion in this video Solution: Rename and move files, part of Windows 10: Organizing Files and Folders.
- [Instructor] For my solution I went backwards.…I moved the files first and then renamed them.…Though you can always rename them first…and then move them but I want to be different.…So to move the files I click one and then…press the control key and click the rest…and then I'm going to drag them into the raw data folder.…You see how it says move, they are moved.…Since both folders are on the same storage media…it's a file move and I can drag to that icon,…I don't need to open another window.…But I do need to open the window to rename.…
I have to click on each file individually and rename it…which is probably what you did first…when you did the exercise.…Now I can't select the lot and use the rename command,…renaming them as a group just yield funky results…so instead we're going to start with SH,…press F2 and name it raw data one.…I'm going to do the same thing to ME…but rename it raw data two and then raw data three.…
Now there's a redundancy here that most people…wouldn't pay attention to but I do.…The folder is named raw data and each file name…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Recall which tab to select to see additional details about files and folders.
- Determine the hierarchy of folders.
- Explain how to create a shortcut on your desktop.
- Summarize the steps taken to add files from a folder to the Documents library.
- Recognize the benefits of file compression.
- List three common storage device formats.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understand File Basics
2. Organize Projects
3. Control Mass Storage
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.