Join James Gonzalez for an in-depth discussion in this video Share files and folders using a homegroup, part of Windows 10: Configure, Secure, and Manage Data.
- View Offline
- In a previous lesson I demonstrated…how to setup a homegroup.…Homegroups allow for a very simple method…of sharing files and folders securely…between PC's running Windows 7 or newer,…that are connected to your home network.…Although convenient, it's quite limiting,…as homegroups don't allow for sharing anything…with older versions of Windows,…or devices running different operating systems,…such as a Mac, or a tablet, or even a smartphone.…However, homegroups are password protected,…so you can control which files and folders…are shared and who has access to them.…
The password was generated when you setup the homegroup.…You can even control individual users…and allow them to either edit your files…or just look at them.…So with your PC connected to your homegroup,…all you do to share files and folders…is simply right-click on the folder you want to share,…and then choose Share with,…notice the options are Stop sharing,…allow anyone in the homegroup to view,…allow anyone in the homegroup to view and edit,…and then down here these are individual users…
Using the tools that come with a standard Windows build, James Gonzalez shows how to configure data storage (on client devices and on OneDrive), secure data with good authentication practices, encrypt data with EFS and BitLocker, and manage data access to shared folders, printers, and hard drives. He also shows how to set up file sharing for an organization using HomeGroup networks and NTFS permissions.
- Configuring Storage Sense
- Creating storage spaces
- Configuring OneDrive
- Setting up NTFS permissions
- Implementing multifactor authentication
- Encrypting data
- Configuring disk quotas
- Configuring folder options
- Auditing files
- Setting up file sharing
Skill Level Beginner
Windows 10 Fundamentals for IT Proswith Jim Boyce3h 3m Intermediate
1. Configuring Data Storage
2. Securing Data
3. Encrypting Data
4. Managing Data Access
5. Sharing Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.