Join James Gonzalez for an in-depth discussion in this video Set up a "HomeGroup" network, part of Windows 10: Configure, Secure, and Manage Data.
- In this lesson,…I demonstrate how to set up a homegroup network.…Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10…is a quick and simple way of letting everybody at home,…or at your small office,…share music, photos, movies, printers, and storage devices.…Set up a homegroup in Windows automatically begins…sharing these items,…although it strategically leaves out the folder…you probably don't want to share,…and that's your documents folder.…Homegroups will work with any Windows 7, 8, or 10 computers.…However, it won't work with Windows Vista or Windows XP,…and it definitely won't work with a Mac on your network.…
So, the first thing you want to do…when setting up your homegroup is make sure you have…at least two computers on your network…and that you're logged in with an administrator account.…And then right-click on the Windows icon…and choose Control Panel,…and then, here, in the Network and Internet section…click on Choose homegroup and sharing options.…Now, when you first connect to a wireless network,…Windows assumes it's a public network,…
Using the tools that come with a standard Windows build, James Gonzalez shows how to configure data storage (on client devices and on OneDrive), secure data with good authentication practices, encrypt data with EFS and BitLocker, and manage data access to shared folders, printers, and hard drives. He also shows how to set up file sharing for an organization using HomeGroup networks and NTFS permissions.
This course is also part of a series designed to help you prepare for the Microsoft exam 70-697: Configuring Windows Devices.
- Identify which storage usage category you should select to check how much space your downloads folder is using on your Windows drive.
- Name the type of storage space resiliency you should select to turn two physical drives into one logical drive.
- Describe the steps needed to access the NTFS permissions for a specific folder.
- List the actions required to share a printer with users on the same network.
- State how to use file explorer to open your PC instead of quick access.
- List the steps to add folder permissions for a specific folder.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Configuring Data Storage
2. Securing Data
3. Encrypting Data
4. Managing Data Access
5. Sharing Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.