Join Mike Meyers for an in-depth discussion in this video Services, part of CompTIA A+ (220-902) Cert Prep: 3 Windows Basics.
- Services are absolutely critical to Windows.…If you don't have the services that you need running,…bad things are gonna happen…like you're not gonna be able to print…or you won't be able to access the Internet,…things like that.…On the same token, services that you don't need…that are running can leave you open to exploits,…can eat up memory, can generally cause a lot of trouble.…So when it comes to services, there are two places to go.…Number one is Task Manager…and number two is the Services Control Panel applet.…Let's take a look at both of those.…
Okay, so let's go ahead…and let's take a look at some services.…We can do this from Task Manager.…So let me just hit Control + Alt + Escape.…Don't have to make this so hard.…Okay, so what you're looking at here is the Services tab.…You'll notice I've got lots of services.…Some of these services are stopped, do you see that?…They don't have a process ID 'cause they're not running.…The running ones have a process ID.…One of the big challenging aspects to services…
Part 3 covers the Windows operating system: all the basics you need to know to troubleshoot the inside of a PC. Author and CompTIA expert Mike Meyers takes a look under the hood at the processes, services, and tasks and provides an overview of user management, which is one of the foundations of Windows security. In Chapter 3, you'll learn some techniques for maintaining and optimizing the performances of Windows, including backup and restore procedures. Every lesson maps to a question in the critical Windows domain—an estimated 30% of the exam.
Details about the certification and the exam blueprints can be found at https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a.
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- What is the Windows registry?
- Understanding the boot process
- Using the Windows 8 Task Manager
- Creating and managing users
- Working in the Microsoft Management Console
- Installing and uninstalling programs
- Backing up and restoring Windows