Join Brien Posey for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparation to sequence an application, part of Windows 10: Deploy and Manage Virtual Applications.
- [Instructor] Before you can sequence an application using App-V, there's a little bit of prep work that has to be done on the machine that's running the sequencer. Specifically, we need to make sure that this machine is running a clean copy of Windows with no applications installed and no antivirus software installed. On top of that, there are two Windows components that need a little bit of attention. The first of those components is Windows Defender. Windows Defender has to be disabled. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't give you an easy way of disabling Windows Defender.
So in order to do that, we have to go through the registry. Now anytime that you're editing the registry, you want to be careful because you can destroy Windows if you make a mistake editing the registry. So with that said, I'm going to right click on the Start button and I'm going to go to Run and I'm going to type regedit and that's going to open the Registry Editor. Now that the Registry Editor is open, I'm going to go to HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Policies, Microsoft, and then Windows Defender.
Then what we need to do is we need to create a new registry key. So I'm going to right click and I'm going to choose New and then DWORD Value. And I'm going to go with 32-bit DWORD. And I'm going to call this new DWORD Value DisableAntiSpyware and I'm going to give this a value of one. And I'll go ahead and close out the Registry Editor.
Then the next thing that I need to do is to disable Windows Search. And in order to do that, I need to open the Service Control Manager. So I'm going to right click on Start and I'm going to go to Run and I'm going to type services.msc. This is going to open up the Service Control Manager. So what I need to do now is go to Windows Search and then I'm going to right click on Windows Search and I'm going to go to Properties.
And then I'm going to set the Startup type to Disabled. I'm also going to stop the service because it's currently running and I'll click OK and I'll close this out. So now the only thing that's left is we have to reboot this machine. Once we've done that, then the machine is ready for us to sequence an application.
This course also maps to the corresponding domain within the Microsoft exam 70-696, Administering System Center Configuration Manager and Intune, and will help you prepare for MCSE certification.
- Installing and deploying App-V
- Sequencing an application
- Editing or upgrading an application
- Configuring applications for deployment in App-V
- Deploying apps with Intune