Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Overview of encryption, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Voiceover] In this section we're going to talk about…encryption, and some of the encryption technologies…available in Windows 10.…Encryption basically means encoding data in such a way…that it would unusable until decrypted.…And once the data is decrypted it returns to a state…of being identical to what it was before it was encrypted.…There are two different situations in which…encryption can increase our security.…The first is data in motion.…When data leaves our computer and goes across a network…we would very often like that data to be encrypted.…
And also data at rest, even when files are just…sitting on our computer we might want them to be encrypted.…This protects us against nosy people on the network.…It also is very good protection in…case our computer is stolen.…So first we'll talk a little bit about data in motion.…One of the common technologies to encrypt data in motion…is called IPsec which stands for Internet Protocol Security.…It works best for internal network traffic.…It's not commonly used on connections across a public…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Windows 8: Networking and Securitywith Steve Fullmer4h 27m Advanced
1. Authentication and Accounts
4. Virus and Malware
5. Network Security
6. Group Policy
Overview of Group Policy1m 56s
7. Remote Desktop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.