Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Overview of authorization, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Voiceover] Now, let's talk about…Authorization and Windows 10.…Authorization is the process of specifying…access rights to resources.…In other words, setting permissions on files and folders.…This will determine who has the right to read a file,…who has the right to change a file,…who has the right to delete a file, things like that.…Authorization is equally as important as authentication.…A lot of administrators focus the majority…of their time on authentication,…making sure everyone has a strong password,…and a password that is changed often,…and that is important, but authorization is also important.…
Making sure that no one can read a file…that they shouldn't be able to read…or make sure no one can delete a file…that they shouldn't be deleting.…The basic file permissions in Windows 10 include…Read, Read and Execute,…Write,…Modify,…and Full Control.…And now we'll spend a few minutes talking…about each one of these and what it means.…When we grant the Read permission on a particular file,…that gives a user the ability…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Windows 8: Networking and Securitywith Steve Fullmer4h 27m Advanced
1. Authentication and Accounts
4. Virus and Malware
5. Network Security
6. Group Policy
Overview of Group Policy1m 56s
7. Remote Desktop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.