Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Overview of Group Policy, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Voiceover] In this section, we're going to talk about…using Group Policy to administer Windows 10.…Group Policy is a technology that allows us…to configure thousands of user and computer settings.…Group Policy can be applied at the domain level…or a Local Group Policy.…If you're running on a domain,…that's probably the preferred place…to do Group Policy.…If you have one or more Windows 10 computers…not connected to a domain,…then you could use Local Group Policy…to accomplish largely the same thing.…
Be aware that domain settings…can override local settings,…so if you created a policy at the domain level…that had a setting,…and you created a policy at the local level…that had the opposite setting,…the domain setting would take precedence.…So typically, we don't manipulate the same setting…at both the domain level and the local level.…If you want to make a setting,…just do it one place or the other, not both.…Windows 10 includes, by default, a tool called…Local Group Policy Editor.…
Previous versions of Windows had this tool…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Windows 8: Networking and Securitywith Steve Fullmer4h 27m Advanced
1. Authentication and Accounts
4. Virus and Malware
5. Network Security
6. Group Policy
Overview of Group Policy1m 56s
7. Remote Desktop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.