Join Brien Posey for an in-depth discussion in this video Modify the location of the log directory, part of Windows 10: Deploy and Manage Virtual Applications.
- [Instructor] One of the topics that you may encounter on a Microsoft certification exam is that of relocating the log directories for the App-V client. So right now, I'm logged onto a Windows machine that's running an older version of the App-V client. Version 4.6 to be specific and the reason for this is that Microsoft has made some changes in the newer version so the registry keys that I'm about to show you, don't exist on the current version. So if you want to change the log file locations, what you need to do is go into the registry editor, which you can see here and you always want to be careful working in the registry editor because making a mistake when you edit the registry can destroy Windows.
So, we're going to go to hkey local machine and then from there, we're going to expand this and go to software and then wow6432node. Microsoft, soft grid. 4.5 client. Configuration. And here you can see a number of different registry settings related to the App-V client.
Now, just for the sake of comparison, let me switch over to a different machine and show you what the current version looks like. So here I am on a different machine, one that's running the App-V 5.1 client and I'm in the exact same location within the registry and you can see that all of those registry keys are gone. So that's the difference between the two clients, so with that said, let me switch back over to the other machine and I will show you the registry keys that are relevant to relocating the log directory.
So here I am back on my App-V 4.6 client machine and you'll notice that under the configuration container, we have a registry key called log file name. This is the registry key that controls the name and location of the log file. So, here we can see that by default the log file was stored in c:\programdata Microsoft application virtualization client and then here we have the name of the log file. So we can change any of this if we need to change the log file name or the file location.
Incidentally, there are a few other registry entries that pertain to the logs. We have log max size, log min severity. Log roll over account, so those are the log related registry keys that exist within the App-V 4.6 client.
- Installing and deploying App-V
- Sequencing an application
- Editing or upgrading an application
- Configuring applications for deployment in App-V
- Deploying apps with Intune