In this video, author Brian Culp discusses the tool used for launching a Remote Desktop session using a command-line interface. The tool is called mstsc.exe, and the utility can be used to launch and/or perform administrative tasks on a Remote Desktop Connection. Brian demonstrates how to use this tool and gives examples of several of the mstsc parameters.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] In this lesson, we'll take a look…at Remote Desktop from the Command Line.…And, what you should know is that Windows also includes…a command line tool that allows you to launch…and/or perform some administrative tasks…for your remote desktop connections.…The tool is called MSTSC.EXE,…and because it can be launched from the command line,…as with most command line tools,…it can be used with several parameters.…
You also certainly don't need to remember…the .exe part, or type in .exe,…when you are using this from the command line.…It stands for Microsoft Terminal Services Command Line Tool…or something like that, it's not really important…that you know what the acronym stands for,…it just is important that you are able to sight-recognize…that this refers to something that you can run…from the command line for remote desktop connections.…So, the tough part about it is just looking at it and going,…"What? What tool would that relate to?"…But the terminal services part of it…is what makes it a tool for managing remote desktop.…
This hands-on, practical course covers the skills necessary for a system admin to manage remote access in Windows 10—and prepare for the Manage Remote Access domain of Microsoft Certification exam 70-697, Configuring Windows Devices. Brian Culp shows how to create and enable a VPN connection, configure Remote Desktop, establish mobility policies, create and deploy workspaces, and configure offline storage and file syncing. Plus, learn how connect to printers and displays using Wi-Fi Direct.
Review the learning objectives for the Manage Remote Access domain of exam 70-697 at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-697.aspx.
- Creating and enabling a VPN connection
- Using Wi-Fi Sense
- Configuring Remote Desktop
- Troubleshooting with Remote Desktop
- Configuring power policies and mobility options
- Creating workspaces with Windows To Go and PowerShell
- Configuring offline files and file policies
- Adjusting sync options
- Connecting to Wi-Fi Direct devices