This video describes a feature that allows you to limit new application installations to the Windows store only. This can help protect a computer from viruses and malware.
- [Instructor] In this movie, I want to look at a feature…that allows you to limit installation of applications…to the Windows App Store only.…That would mean that no application could be installed…from a disc or from a download from a website.…For users of Windows 10 S,…this limitation is a standard part of Windows 10 S…and cannot be changed.…But for users of any other version of Windows 10,…you can choose to enable this option…and this feature can be found by going into settings…to the app section…and then to apps and features…and there's this menu up here at the top…for installing apps.…
I can click on that to see the options.…When I describe this feature to people,…a lot of people are surprised.…Why would I ever want to limit…where I'm allowed to install applications from?…Well, the answer is simply a question of security…or to over simplify, virus protection.…Generally speaking, viruses and malware…do not come from apps…that you install from the Windows App Store.…They usually come from applications…you install from other sources…
- Launching applications
- Interacting with windows, menus, and ribbons
- Multitasking to switch between multiple applications
- Switching to tablet mode
- Managing files and folders with the File Explorer
- Browsing the web with Edge
- Working with email, contacts, and calendars
- Using and installing apps
- Managing display and account settings
- Backing up Windows 10
- Troubleshooting Windows 10
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 12/08/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: understanding essential folder structure, including the user folder; using shortcuts to files and folders; and creating 3D objects in Paint 3D.
1. Getting Started
2. Launching and Managing Applications
3. File Explorer: The Windows Filing Cabinet
4. Browsing the Web with Edge
5. Working with Mail, People, and Calendars
6. Using the Other Bundled Apps
7. Installing Apps and Printers
8. Essential Settings and Customization
9. Account Settings
Sign-in security options4m 3s
10. Using Cortana to Search
11. Backing Up and Restoring
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.