Some applications are not available in the app store. Another common way of getting new software is to download an application from a website and install it. Using the Chrome web browser as an example, download an application installer package and go through the installation.
- [Instructor] There will probably be a time…when you need to install new software…that is not available on the Windows App Store.…In that case, you will probably need to download…and install that application from the web…or install it from an installation drive,…like a DVD disc or a USB stick.…Remember, if you're using Windows 10 S,…or a computer that's been locked…to only install applications from the app store,…then you will not be able to install new applications…from the web or from a disk.…For everybody else, let's look at a typical scenario.…
It's very normal to install a different web browser.…Of course, Windows comes with Edge,…but you might want to install a different browser,…like Firefox or Chrome,…and neither of those are in the app store.…So let's install Chrome from the web.…And to do that, we will just open up Edge to go on the web,…and then find that application.…So just using the search bar up here at the top,…I'll search for Chrome,…and I find a search result here,…so I'm going to click on that.…
- Launching applications
- Interacting with windows, menus, and ribbons
- Multitasking to switch between multiple applications
- Switching to tablet mode
- Managing files and folders with the File Explorer
- Browsing the web with Edge
- Working with email, contacts, and calendars
- Using and installing apps
- Managing display and account settings
- Backing up Windows 10
- Troubleshooting Windows 10
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 12/08/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: understanding essential folder structure, including the user folder; using shortcuts to files and folders; and creating 3D objects in Paint 3D.
1. Getting Started
2. Launching and Managing Applications
3. File Explorer: The Windows Filing Cabinet
4. Browsing the Web with Edge
5. Working with Mail, People, and Calendars
6. Using the Other Bundled Apps
7. Installing Apps and Printers
8. Essential Settings and Customization
9. Account Settings
Sign-in security options4m 3s
10. Using Cortana to Search
11. Backing Up and Restoring
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.