You can develop apps for the HoloLens by using popular free software. Walk through the installation of Visual Studio and Unity.
- [Instructor] To get started developing for HoloLens,…you're going to need four pieces of software.…The first two are mandatory…and the last two are optional but highly recommended.…The mandatory software is Unity 3D and Visual Studio.…If you follow this guide,…all the components you install will be completely free.…Let's start with Unity 3D.…Unity 3D is going to provide the game engine…that let's you build 3D games for the HoloLens.…You go to the Unity 3D website and click on get Unity.…
Now, there are several different plans…that are available, you're going to want the personal one…which is the free one,…that's perfect for people just learning.…So you click on try personal…and normally you're going to want to get the latest and greatest…but in this case, because currently…there are compatibility issues between…the latest versions of Visual Studio and Unity…and some other tools.…We're going to get a slightly older version.…We're going to go for Unity 554…and we're going to download the Windows Unity installer.…
Join instructors Dennis Vroegop and James Ashley for this introduction for HoloLens app development. They show you how to set up your development environment, including Unity and the HoloToolkit; how to deploy to HoloLens and the HoloLens emulator; and how to build apps that accept user input via gazes, tapping, and speech. Then discover how to use spatial mapping to detect your surroundings and analyze your environment with spatial understanding. Learn how to implement spatial sound that adds to the user's existing environment, and synchronize data to create shared experiences. Along the way, learn how it all comes together in two simple 3D apps: a visualization for enterprise business and a platform game.
- Installing Unity, Visual Studio, and the HoloToolkit
- Building an app in Unity
- Deploying to HoloLens or the HoloLens emulator
- Gaze and tapping
- Spatial mapping and spatial understanding
- Spatial sound
- Shared holograms
- Creating 3D enterprise apps
- Creating 3D games
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Set Up Your Development Environment
Download the HoloToolkit2m 32s
2. Basic Configuration and Deployment
3. Basic Interaction
4. Use HoloToolKit
5. Spatial Sound
6. Shared Experiences
7. Games and Enterprise Applications on the HoloLens
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.