Join James Gonzalez for an in-depth discussion in this video Identify NTFS permissions, part of Windows 10: Configure, Secure, and Manage Data.
- It's important to understand NTFS folder permissions…in the relationships to each other…so you can sort out permission problems when they occur,…and trust me they will occur.…So in this lesson I'll review NTFS sharing permissions.…My first tip is to always apply these permissions…to folders and not individual files.…So, for example, you'll start off in the File Explorer,…and you'll notice that if you open up a folder…and right-click on an individual file…you can set its permissions here in the Properties option,…in the pop-up menu.…Click on the Security tab…and there're all of your permissions.…
However, I don't recommend doing this on the file level,…instead do it at the folder level.…So, what you want to do is right-click on the folder…you want to set the permissions to.…So in the Properties dialogue click on the Security tab…and you want to set your permissions right here.…Let me review this dialogue.…It's pretty dense and pretty important,…so let me review this in more detail.…The top part of the window is labeled "Group or user names".…
Using the tools that come with a standard Windows build, James Gonzalez shows how to configure data storage (on client devices and on OneDrive), secure data with good authentication practices, encrypt data with EFS and BitLocker, and manage data access to shared folders, printers, and hard drives. He also shows how to set up file sharing for an organization using HomeGroup networks and NTFS permissions.
This course is also part of a series designed to help you prepare for the Microsoft exam 70-697: Configuring Windows Devices.
- Configuring Storage Sense
- Creating storage spaces
- Configuring OneDrive
- Setting up NTFS permissions
- Implementing multifactor authentication
- Encrypting data
- Configuring disk quotas
- Configuring folder options
- Auditing files
- Setting up file sharing
Skill Level Beginner
Windows 10 Fundamentals for IT Proswith Jim Boyce3h 3m Intermediate
1. Configuring Data Storage
2. Securing Data
3. Encrypting Data
4. Managing Data Access
5. Sharing Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.