To perform a basic web search, you have to either visit a search engine through your web browser, or use the browser’s integrated search capabilities. This video explains how to perform a basic web search with google.com, including how to refine your search to increase your chances of finding relevant results.
- [Voiceover] To perform a basic web search,…you first have to visit a search engine…through your web browser.…Now as I previously mentioned,…almost all web browsers these days…have access to the most popular search engines,…like Google and Bing, built directly in.…For example, I'm going to open up the built-in…Microsoft Edge browser that comes with Windows 10.…Now, I could just type my search terms…right into this address field to perform…a Google search, but for this example,…I'm actually going to go to google.com.…The technical term for performing a search…is a query.…Basically when you perform a query,…you're asking a search engine to provide…information relevant to the word…or phrases you search for.…
Most people just call it Googling these days,…which shows you how popular Google is…as a search engine.…So to perform a search, just type a word…or a phrase.…Let's say I'm looking for information…on repairing a hard drive.…I'll type in repairing,…and as you can see that…before I even finish typing,…Google has offered some suggestions…
Interested in Mac computers? Check out Garrick's companion course, Computer Literacy for Mac.
- What is a computer?
- Purchasing a laptop vs. desktop
- Understanding files and folders
- Opening and saving files
- Working with software
- Setting up printers and Bluetooth devices
- Connecting to networks to go online
- Setting up email
- Receiving and sending email
- Searching the web
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Computers
2. Getting Started
3. Software and Applications
4. Computer Peripherals
5. Networks and Getting Online
7. Web Browsing and Searching
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.