Join James Gonzalez for an in-depth discussion in this video How EFS works, part of Windows 10: Configure, Secure, and Manage Data.
- In this lesson, I review how EFS works.…The first time you perform an encryption,…EFS will automatically generate a public key pair…and file encryption certification.…A random generated called the file encryption key,…or the FEK, encrypts the data.…This FEK is encrypted with the EFS public key,…which is also stored along with the encrypted file.…The private key which resides within the user's profile…is used to decrypt the FEK, which in turn…then decrypts your data.…
Each time you open an encrypted file,…EFS will search the system's key store…for a file encryption key.…When an unauthorized person tries to open an encrypted file,…an access denied error message will be displayed.…So, for example, I'm going to put in a USB drive…in the computer, and the system gives a warning,…unlock drive H, and to access that drive,…the user would need to then enter the password…that would then decrypt the file.…The encryption and decryption is always done on the fly,…and because this encryption and decryption operations…are performed at a layer below NTFS,…
Using the tools that come with a standard Windows build, James Gonzalez shows how to configure data storage (on client devices and on OneDrive), secure data with good authentication practices, encrypt data with EFS and BitLocker, and manage data access to shared folders, printers, and hard drives. He also shows how to set up file sharing for an organization using HomeGroup networks and NTFS permissions.
- Configuring Storage Sense
- Creating storage spaces
- Configuring OneDrive
- Setting up NTFS permissions
- Implementing multifactor authentication
- Encrypting data
- Configuring disk quotas
- Configuring folder options
- Auditing files
- Setting up file sharing
Skill Level Beginner
Windows 10 Fundamentals for IT Proswith Jim Boyce3h 3m Intermediate
1. Configuring Data Storage
2. Securing Data
3. Encrypting Data
4. Managing Data Access
5. Sharing Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.