Join James Gonzalez for an in-depth discussion in this video Homegroups vs. file sharing, part of Windows 10: Configure, Secure, and Manage Data.
- Windows offers two ways to share files.…Each provides a different mix of security versus convenience…so in this lesson, I review a little bit both options…and some of the advantages and disadvantages of each.…First option is using homegroups.…Homegroups were developed for places where users…don't have a lot to hide from each other,…like in a home setting or perhaps a small business.…The idea here is to provide access to everyone's files…with a single click.…Homegroups, as I'll demonstrate in the next lesson,…are easy to set up and use.…
Usernames and passwords are not needed…to access files in other computers…and these are pretty easy to manage.…Setup is simple, you just type a code and presto,…you can see everyone else's files and use…everyone else's printers in the office.…The disadvantages of sharing files using a homegroup…are several, however.…First is only computers running Windows 7 or later…can share files, so this means no file sharing…with a Mac or Windows Vista, XP, or 98.…Homegroups also don't offer any passwords,…
Using the tools that come with a standard Windows build, James Gonzalez shows how to configure data storage (on client devices and on OneDrive), secure data with good authentication practices, encrypt data with EFS and BitLocker, and manage data access to shared folders, printers, and hard drives. He also shows how to set up file sharing for an organization using HomeGroup networks and NTFS permissions.
- Configuring Storage Sense
- Creating storage spaces
- Configuring OneDrive
- Setting up NTFS permissions
- Implementing multifactor authentication
- Encrypting data
- Configuring disk quotas
- Configuring folder options
- Auditing files
- Setting up file sharing
Skill Level Beginner
Windows 10 Fundamentals for IT Proswith Jim Boyce3h 3m Intermediate
1. Configuring Data Storage
2. Securing Data
3. Encrypting Data
4. Managing Data Access
5. Sharing Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.