The most terrifying startup message is "Missing Operating System." You can check a few key items to ensure that this problem isn't serious or learn how to resolve the issue by using the Windows Recovery menu.
- [Instructor] Nothing instills terror…like a startup message that reads,…Missing operating system.…This error doesn't directly imply that Windows…has packed up its bags and taken holiday somewhere tropical.…No, this beast of a message is a specific startup error,…and quite a few situations can rouse that monster.…In this movie, I go over the different types…of messages you can see when you start your computer…and how to resolve them.…The steps involve using the Startup Repair tool,…as well as using the Command Prompt…to fix a boot drive's Master Boot Record.…
In the PC startup process, the firmware's last duty…is to scan for and load an operating system…from one of the system's mass storage devices.…A bootable storage device…is one with an operating system installed.…So when the firmware can't locate such media,…it displays one of the vile messages you see here.…To review the list of storage media…and see what the firmware sees…when it tries to hand off the ball,…you can do one of two things.…The first is to visit the Windows Recovery Menu.…
- Diagnosing the causes of PC issues
- Troubleshooting hardware and software
- Performing startup and system restore steps
- Accessing the Task Manager
- Using the Registry Editor
- Fixing Windows
- Checking and freeing storage
- Fixing common printer issues
- Troubleshooting audio
- Restoring network connectivity
Skill Level Beginner
What you should know1m 3s
1. PC Trouble
2. Startup and Shutdown Issues
3. Problems and Solutions: Windows
4. Problems and Solutions: Mass Storage
5. Problems and Solutions: Printer
6. Problems and Solutions: Monitors and Graphics
Troubleshooting the monitor3m 54s
7. Problems and Solutions: Peripherals
8. Problems and Solutions: Networking
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.