The popular System Configuration Utility, or MSConfig, is used to boot into Safe Mode, as well as troubleshoot startup issues, disable startup programs, and get the PC running normally.
- [Narrator] It's real name is the System…Configuration Utility, but most people know…it by the program name, Msconfig.…This utility is ideal for troubleshooting PC…boot issues and Windows problems.…It also has the capability to control startup…programs as well as to launch other troubleshooting tools.…To run the System Configuration Utility,…press the Windows and R keyboard shortcut…to see the run dialogue box and type Msconfig.…Press enter.…The System Configuration window appears.…
The window features several tabs.…General lists startup settings.…Normal startup is the way Windows normally starts,…loading everything.…Diagnostic startup loads only basic drivers…but not, for example, network drivers.…This isn't the same as Safe Mode,…as more of Windows is loaded.…Selective startup lets you choose what to load.…You might see this item selected on a PC that…can boot multiple versions of Windows…or a system that you've upgraded from an…earlier operating system.…The boot tab is where you find the safe boot option,…which is an easy way to enter Safe Mode in Windows.…
- Diagnosing the causes of PC issues
- Troubleshooting hardware and software
- Performing startup and system restore steps
- Accessing the Task Manager
- Using the Registry Editor
- Fixing Windows
- Checking and freeing storage
- Fixing common printer issues
- Troubleshooting audio
- Restoring network connectivity
Skill Level Beginner
What you should know1m 3s
1. PC Trouble
2. Startup and Shutdown Issues
3. Problems and Solutions: Windows
4. Problems and Solutions: Mass Storage
5. Problems and Solutions: Printer
6. Problems and Solutions: Monitors and Graphics
Troubleshooting the monitor3m 54s
7. Problems and Solutions: Peripherals
8. Problems and Solutions: Networking
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.