HoloLens development relies on an open-source library called the HoloToolkit. Learn how to get the HoloToolkit and add it to a Unity project.
- The HoloToolKit is a second optional piece of software…for HoloLens Development.…The HoloToolKit is a collection of open-source code…that helps you access HoloLens capabilities.…It provides helper classes for common Mixed Reality tasks.…The part of the HoloToolKit that is important…for you as a developer is called the HoloToolKit for Unity.…This wraps all of the HoloToolkit goodness in a package…that you can import into your Unity project.…Let's walk through pulling down the HoloToolKit…from github and adding it to your project.…
First, you'll want to go to Microsoft's github repository…for the Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity.…If you pull down the entire package,…you can build it and then package it yourself.…For convenience though, and this is what I typically do,…just go to the External Folder…and then the Unitypackages Folder.…Until very recently, Microsoft's Mixed Reality Toolkit…was called the HoloToolKit.…Because we're using a specific version of the Toolkit…to ensure compatibility, we'll be downloading a version…
Join instructors Dennis Vroegop and James Ashley for this introduction for HoloLens app development. They show you how to set up your development environment, including Unity and the HoloToolkit; how to deploy to HoloLens and the HoloLens emulator; and how to build apps that accept user input via gazes, tapping, and speech. Then discover how to use spatial mapping to detect your surroundings and analyze your environment with spatial understanding. Learn how to implement spatial sound that adds to the user's existing environment, and synchronize data to create shared experiences. Along the way, learn how it all comes together in two simple 3D apps: a visualization for enterprise business and a platform game.
- Installing Unity, Visual Studio, and the HoloToolkit
- Building an app in Unity
- Deploying to HoloLens or the HoloLens emulator
- Gaze and tapping
- Spatial mapping and spatial understanding
- Spatial sound
- Shared holograms
- Creating 3D enterprise apps
- Creating 3D games
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Set Up Your Development Environment
Download the HoloToolkit2m 32s
2. Basic Configuration and Deployment
3. Basic Interaction
4. Use HoloToolKit
5. Spatial Sound
6. Shared Experiences
7. Games and Enterprise Applications on the HoloLens
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.