Learning how to customize your desktop will give you greater control over the content of your computer's desktop icons and background. You will learn how to personalize your desktop, including sorting and cleaning up icons, resizing and spacing icons, adding a custom background image, and making a slideshow.
- [Instructor] In this movie, you're going to learn how to customize and personalize your desktop. Windows 10 gives you the option to change the size of your icons, sort them in a particular order, as well as change the desktop background to a different color or image. Like many things in Windows, we start off by right-clicking on your mouse, in an empty part of your desktop to bring up our context menu. You'll notice options like View, and Sort by. Choose View to change the size of your icons, you can choose, Small, to make them smaller, right-click again, come back and choose View to make them Large icons, or View to make Medium size icons.
Likewise, we can right-click again, choose Sort, and we can sort it by Name, Size, Item type, and Date modified. I'll go ahead and sort it by Name, to see them viewed now, alphabetically. Also notice that you can sort it by Size, which will allow you to view them in size order, from biggest to smallest. Now let's move on to changing the desktop background. Again, we'll right-click and choose Personalize. This takes us to a new window where we have a palette of colors to choose from, to change the color of the background. And notice as I choose each color, the color appears immediately below.
I'll go ahead and choose this purple color, alternatively, you may want an image as your background. From the Background dropdown, choose Picture, and then either choose an image from Windows set of prepackaged options, or choose Browse, to find one on your computer. And then also notice that, as I choose each individual picture, I will get a preview of the picture immediately. Additionally from the Background option, you can choose Slideshow. This will take you to the option for choosing an entire folder to present a slideshow of all the folder's images, and have them show for a certain amount of time before changing.
You can choose that your slideshow to show each image for 1 minute, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or more. Desktop customizations gives you the personalization of your computer, to have it your way, whether it's sizing, sorting, or design.
Technology trainer David Casuto explains basic Windows conventions, and explores how to best resize and manage windows, change the way your mouse behaves, and customize the desktop, including the taskbar and Start menu. Need help finding files and applications? Learn how to search more effectively using the File Explorer and Cortana, Microsoft's digital assistant. If you have visual or audio impairments, Window's accessibility features are a great tool. Learn how to use the Ease of Access options (like the Magnifier and closed captioning) to make Windows more user friendly. Last but not least, David shows how to save time with some helpful keyboard shortcuts. Windows is a powerful platform; with these tips, you'll find it even easier to use.
- Personalizing your desktop
- Managing windows
- Changing mouse properties
- Searching for files, folders, and apps
- Using the File Explorer
- Using accessibility features
- Using keyboard shortcuts