Watch a demonstration of how to configure Group Policy settings to control device installation (blocking USB drives, except encrypted drives).
- Let's drop onto our demo PC and take a look…at how to create a group policy…to block the use of all USB thumb drive devices.…Then we'll remove the policy and show…how to allow users to copy data to USB drives…so long as it's using a company-issued drive,…which has been encrypted.…I'll open up Group Policy Editor to get started.…I'm using local group policy so…that all viewers can follow along.…If you've got access to a lap environment…with a domain controller, you can create a GPO…with a group policy management console…and assign it to your test computer.…
I'll expand Computer Configuration,…Administrative Templates, and System,…and then click Device Installation,…and then Device Installation Restrictions.…Double click the prevent installation of devices…that match any of these device ID policies.…And then click the Enabled radio button.…Click on the Show button…and open the Show Contents dialog box.…Here we'll use a wildcard to block…the installation of all USB devices…no matter their model or manufacturer.…
I'll type in USBSTOR*…
- Troubleshooting startup issues
- Using Windows 10 Safe Mode
- Creating a new BitLocker password
- Resolving a slow-running computer
- Managing device driver issues
- Fixing an incompatible application using a shim
- Troubleshooting computers remotely
- Troubleshooting network and remote connectivity
- Troubleshooting a VPN connection
- Migrating to a mobile device management solution
- Resolving sign-in issues
Skill Level Advanced
Windows 10 for IT Pros Essential Trainingwith Brien Posey2h 53m Intermediate
Windows 10: Provision and Manage Mobile Deviceswith Brien Posey1h 39m Intermediate
1. Troubleshooting Startup Issues
2. Troubleshooting BitLocker
3. Troubleshooting Hardware Devices and Software
4. Troubleshooting Computers Remotely
5. Troubleshooting Network and Remote Connectivity
6. Troubleshooting VPN Connections
7. Troubleshooting Group Policy and MDM Issues
8. Troubleshooting User Sign-On Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.