Join Brien Posey for an in-depth discussion in this video Create the package root directory, part of Windows 10: Deploy and Manage Virtual Applications.
- [Instructor] Before we can sequence an application in App-V, we have to create a package root directory, and we do this on a completely separate machine. So, I'm on a separate machine, and I'm going to go ahead and open a file explorer, and I'm going to go to This PC, and I'm going to create a folder on my E Drive. You can do this in any location that you want. I'm just going to use E. And we have to create a folder. I'm going to create a folder called, Apps. You can call this folder anything that you want.
So, I'm going to right click, and then choose New, and Folder, and I'll call this Apps. So now our folder had been created. The next thing that we have to do is share the folder. So I'm going to right click on Apps, and I'm going to go to Share With, Specific People. Now we have to specify who we want to share the folder with. And I'm going to share the folder with the APP-V Admins Group that we created in one of the earlier videos.
So I'm going to type poseylab; that's the name of my domain, slash APP.V underscore Admins, and I'll click Add. And I'm going to grant App-V Admins read/write access. And I'll click Share. And now the folder has been shared. So I'll click Done. Now that we've shared out a folder, I need to switch over to the machine that's running the APP-V Sequencer.
So here I am on the server that's running APP-V Sequencer. And I'm going to open a File Explorer and go to This PC, and I'm going to go up to Computer, and then Map Network Drive. And I'll choose the Map Network Drive option, and we have to use the Q Drive. Then I have to specify the UNC path to the folder that we just shared out. And in my case, that UNC path is going to be slash, slash, IN dash APP.V dash root, that's the computer name, and then slash, and then the share name.
The share name that we assigned to that folder was Apps. And we want to reconnect at signin, and I'll click Finish, and now Q Drive points to the folder that we just created and shared. So now, our package root directory has been prepared for use by the APP-V Sequencer.
- Installing and deploying App-V
- Sequencing an application
- Editing or upgrading an application
- Configuring applications for deployment in App-V
- Deploying apps with Intune