Use Disk Management to create a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD). Understand the disk format options, VHD and VHDX. Choose among Fixed Size or Dynamically Expanding, and explore the pros and cons of each option. Initialize the disk, and then choose the disk style, Master Boot Record (MBR) or GUID Partition Table (GPT). Explore options for saving the file with regard to its location on the hard disk.
- [Instructor] You might have already heard…the terms virtual hard disk and virtual machine…either at work or in your studies.…But do you know the difference?…In simple terms, a virtual hard disk…is an area on a physical disk…that looks and acts like a physical disk, but isn't.…It's a virtual storage area.…It's a file actually and has the file format VHD or VHDX.…You can create a virtual hard disk…using the Microsoft Hyper-V Manager,…Disk Management, or PowerShell.…
Once you've created the virtual hard disk,…if it's big enough, you can install an operating system…on it if you want to.…At that point, most people start to refer…to the entire unit as a single virtual machine,…also called a VM.…But a virtual hard disk is separate from a VM.…A virtual hard disk provides a place…for the virtual machine to reside.…A VM may have an operating system…and can emulate a traditional computer system.…Before you begin working with virtual disks,…you should install the Hyper-V tools on a computer…that meets the requirements for doing so.…
This course maps to the domain of Exam 70-698, Installing and Configuring Windows 10, a required exam for Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA).
- Configuring and supporting network settings
- Connecting to a network and configuring network locations
- Using Windows Firewall
- Managing partitions with Disk Management
- Managing storage with PowerShell
- Creating and configuring a VHD
- Creating and configuring homegroups and folder shares
- Configuring desktop apps and startup options
- Creating and deploying provisioning packages
- Using Remote Management tools
- Configuring Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Configure Networking
2. Configure Storage
3. Configure Data Access and Usage
Troubleshoot data access5m 59s
4. Implement Apps
5. Configure Remote Management
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.