Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling updates for Windows 10, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Instructor] In this section,…we're going to talk about Windows Update.…One of the most important and one of the easiest things…you can do to secure your Windows 10 PC…is to update it on a regular basis…with security updates provided by Microsoft.…So off the Start menu, I'll type in Windows Update,…and it'll take me to Windows Update Settings.…Then at the top, I have a button for Check for updates.…I'll click on that, and pretty quickly,…it should tell me that I am up to date.…
And there it does that.…If there were updates available,…it would list them here for me…and allow me to choose to install them now or later.…The first option under that…is to View installed update history,…so I can see what updates I've installed.…I also have the option to uninstall an update.…It's pretty rare that an update causes a problem,…but it does happen from time from time,…so Microsoft has made available to us…some uninstall options.…Going back to the Windows Update control panel,…the Update settings section has a few different options.…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Windows 8: Networking and Securitywith Steve Fullmer4h 27m Advanced
1. Authentication and Accounts
4. Virus and Malware
5. Network Security
6. Group Policy
Overview of Group Policy1m 56s
7. Remote Desktop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.