This video looks at how to connect your PC to your network via a wired ethernet connection. The connection process is fairly simple, but the video also covers some troubleshooting techniques you can try in case you’re not immediately connected to your network after connecting the cable between your computer and router.
- [Voiceover] In this video, we're gonna look at how…to connect your PC to your network…via a wired Ethernet connection.…Now, this assumes that your network has already been setup…in your home, office or classroom.…If you're connecting to your home network,…you're most likely going to run an Ethernet cable…from your computer directly into your router.…If you're connecting in an office or classroom environment,…chances are you'll be running an Ethernet cable off…from your computer to an Ethernet port in the wall…or some other fixture, which in turn,…connects to your network.…In any case, the important thing is that you have a cable…running from whatever the source of your…network connection is, to the Ethernet port on your PC.…
Pretty much all desktop PCs have built-in Ethernet ports,…though you're not seeing them as much on laptops…these days, as you have in the past.…If your laptop doesn't have an Ethernet connection,…you'll connect wirelessly to your network…and we'll talk about that in the next video.…But once you have your computer connected to your network…
Interested in Mac computers? Check out Garrick's companion course, Computer Literacy for Mac.
- What is a computer?
- Purchasing a laptop vs. desktop
- Understanding files and folders
- Opening and saving files
- Working with software
- Setting up printers and Bluetooth devices
- Connecting to networks to go online
- Setting up email
- Receiving and sending email
- Searching the web
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Computers
2. Getting Started
3. Software and Applications
4. Computer Peripherals
5. Networks and Getting Online
7. Web Browsing and Searching
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.