Understand what name resolution is, learn about DNS, and learn how and where to configure DNS settings in Windows 10. Learn what it means to append suffixes, register a connection's address, and how host names names come into play.
- [Instructor] When you want to communicate…with a remote computer,…such as one that allows access…to a website on the Internet,…or one that is on your home or business network,…you generally navigate there…using its computer name.…This is also referred to as the host name.…You don't very often type in an IP address…because to do so would be cumbersome…and mistake prone.…Let's open file explorer…and find the host names…of the computers on my network.…I'll click network to show you.…To access one of these hosts…I simply double click the entry…and if necessary, type in the required credentials…to gain access.…
I could also access the computer…by typing its name in path…I the address bar.…We can use host names…because Windows 10…includes a service known as the client resolver…and this service is responsible…for resolving those names…into their IPv4…or IPv6 addresses anytime you require it.…This means you don't have to do anything specific…to use the host name instead of an IP address.…It's built in.…Additionally, Windows stores these names and addresses…
This course maps to the domain of Exam 70-698, Installing and Configuring Windows 10, a required exam for Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA).
- Configuring and supporting network settings
- Connecting to a network and configuring network locations
- Using Windows Firewall
- Managing partitions with Disk Management
- Managing storage with PowerShell
- Creating and configuring a VHD
- Creating and configuring homegroups and folder shares
- Configuring desktop apps and startup options
- Creating and deploying provisioning packages
- Using Remote Management tools
- Configuring Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Configure Networking
2. Configure Storage
3. Configure Data Access and Usage
Troubleshoot data access5m 59s
4. Implement Apps
5. Configure Remote Management
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.