Join Brien Posey for an in-depth discussion in this video Configure automatic approval settings in Intune, part of Windows 10: Plan and Implement Software Updates.
- [Instructor] Microsoft Intune allows you to create automatic approval rules for updates so that you don't have to approve updates manually. So right now I'm logged into Intune and I'm in the classic Intune portal. And I'm going to go ahead and create an automatic approval rule. So to do that I'm going to go to admin, and then once admin comes up I'm going to go to updates, and I'm taken to the updates screen. And if I scroll down to the bottom of this screen you can see that I have a section four automatic approval rules. Let's go ahead and create an automatic approval rule by clicking new.
This is going to bring up the create automatic rule dialogue box and the first thing that we have to do is provide a name for the rule that we're creating. I'm just going to call this approve updates. Next I would typically enter a description for the rule that I'm creating for example I might type automatically approve security and critical updates. So now I'm going to click on next, and now I'm asked what categories of products I want to include in this rule.
Well maybe I only want to approve updates for Windows. That's easy enough to do. I'll just scroll down until I get to the Windows section and I could pick Windows versions individually but I'm just going to select the Windows check box to cover all versions of Windows. I'll click next. And so now I'm taken into the update classification screen so here's where I get to choose what types of updates I want to automatically approve. Well if you think back to the description for my rule I mentioned that I was going to automatically approve security updates and critical updates, so I'm going to select the security updates check box and the critical updates check box and click next and so now I'm taken to the deployment screen and here I would select the groups for which I want to automatically approve those critical and security updates for Windows.
I'm going to choose all devices and click add and then click next and now I see a summary of the rule that I'm creating. So you can see that I'm going to automatically approve updates and my description is automatically approve security and critical updates and that's going to apply to all these different versions of Windows and the classifications are security updates and critical updates. So everything looks good here. I'm going to go ahead and click finish and that's going to create my rule. So the rule has been created, that's how you create an automatic approval rule in Microsoft Intune.
- Deploying updates manually
- Monitoring deployments
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
- Analyzing log files
- Approving and declining updates in Intune
- Deploying software from SCCM, WSUS, and Intune