In this video, author Brian Culp discusses the use and configuration of the Remote Desktop capabilities in Windows 10. He identifies the main reasons why Windows 10 users might open Remote Desktop sessions, which include the ability to manage a server computer more securely than being physically in front of the server machine. He also walks viewers through the procedure of launching a Remote Desktop session using the graphical interface.
- [Voiceover] In this section, we'll focus mostly…on the use and configuration of Remote Desktop.…As we start out with this first lesson here,…let's begin with a simple question.…Why Remote Desktop in the first place?…Well the answer is this.…It's for the administration of…server computers in your network.…What I mean by that is that it's usually…not very practical or feasible…to manage server computers locally.…That is, when you're sitting down at the server machine.…
If you've ever seen a room full of server racks,…these aren't the kind of machines…you typically attach a keyboard and a mouse to.…Instead, the tool for the job…of server management is often a Windows 10 machine…running a Remote Desktop connection,…especially in terms of prepping for the 697 exam.…You get remote access to files…as another benefit, so you can be on the road,…and access a machine that is secured…within a corporate network.…
That would be another reason to use Remote Desktop.…Now, this is a technology that's been…around for a long time in the…
This hands-on, practical course covers the skills necessary for a system admin to manage remote access in Windows 10—and prepare for the Manage Remote Access domain of Microsoft Certification exam 70-697, Configuring Windows Devices. Brian Culp shows how to create and enable a VPN connection, configure Remote Desktop, establish mobility policies, create and deploy workspaces, and configure offline storage and file syncing. Plus, learn how connect to printers and displays using Wi-Fi Direct.
Review the learning objectives for the Manage Remote Access domain of exam 70-697 at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-697.aspx.
- Creating and enabling a VPN connection
- Using Wi-Fi Sense
- Configuring Remote Desktop
- Troubleshooting with Remote Desktop
- Configuring power policies and mobility options
- Creating workspaces with Windows To Go and PowerShell
- Configuring offline files and file policies
- Adjusting sync options
- Connecting to Wi-Fi Direct devices