Organize projects by placing like files into folders. Add more folders for even more organization. Properly name folders. Create a temp folder for files that don't yet belong elsewhere.
- [Instructor] No one begins a project…with a completely planned out notion…of a perfectly organized folder structure.…Nope! It just doesn't happen unless you're given a project…that has preset locations for everything.…Otherwise the folder structure…and project organization just happens,…it evolves.…Over time you'll change things…with a goal to reach some type of logical folder…and file organization.…In this movie I review folder organization…which can apply to all your files…or to specific projects.…
I cover creating new folders,…how and when to spawn sub folders,…working with files between folders…and general folder management.…Even the most complex folder tree…starts with a single item, the main folder.…Consider your account folder in Windows,…as my account folder is shown here.…It is one folder that hosts multiple sub folders…with a strong suggestion that you use those folders…to organize documents,…music,…pictures, videos, and so on.…
Any new project you undertake will probably start here…or, more commonly, in the Documents folder.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Recall which tab to select to see additional details about files and folders.
- Determine the hierarchy of folders.
- Explain how to create a shortcut on your desktop.
- Summarize the steps taken to add files from a folder to the Documents library.
- Recognize the benefits of file compression.
- List three common storage device formats.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understand File Basics
2. Organize Projects
3. Control Mass Storage
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.